Eight Things You Need to Know About Mold
How much do you really know about mold?
- There isn’t an effective way to eliminate all mold and spores in your home. The way you can control indoor mold growth is by controlling moisture in your home.
- Fix sources of water problems or leaks to help prevent mold growth
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Ventilating bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating areas
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Increasing air flow in your home
- Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
- Clean and dry damp or wet surfaces and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
- Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces like windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors by adding insulation.
- In areas where there is continual moisture, such as bathrooms, do not install carpeting.
- Mold spores can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance if moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
If you do have problems with mold, SERVPRO of Midtown Memphis can help. We can find and fix sources of moisture that may have contributed to the mold problem and mitigate any mold damage. Call us at 901-454-4975 today.
What is black mold
With so many articles about toxic black mold in the news, you may be wondering exactly what it is and if you should be worried about it. You may even be in a panic because you’ve found mold growing in your home. The good news is that the mold in your home is probably not the type of mold that’s toxic. The bad news is that if you have any type of mold growth in your home, you may want to call a mold remediation specialist in Midtown Memphis TN, to begin cleanup. Whether it’s a species toxic to human health or not, mold can do extensive damage to your house
The Low Down on Mold
Mold is a type of fungus, which means it’s a distant cousin to yeast and mushrooms. There are over 100,000 species of mold, and many of them are black. Of course, not all of these are likely to grow in your home. However, of the four most common types of mold to be found inside your house, half of them (species of Alternaria and Cladosporium) are likely to be black. The highly toxic species of black mold, Stachybotrys chartarum, isn’t rare, but it is less common than other household molds.
Why It Thrives
Stachybotrys chartarum, like all mold, thrives in places that are damp. Mold spores are found everywhere, so if you have areas in your home that are consistently moist, spores can land there and grow into a visible colony. This can be a damp corner of a poorly ventilated bathroom, the wall below a leaky window or a basement where groundwater is seeping through the concrete. To keep your home free of mold, follow the following tips to prevent excess moisture.
• Repair leaks
• Do regular maintenance on plumbing
• Keep indoor humidity below 50%
• Ventilate rooms
What To Do If You Have Mold
If you find mold growing in your home, don’t attempt to clean it up yourself. If it is Stachybotrys chartarum a mold removal service in Midtown Memphis, TN, can ensure that the cleanup is done quickly and efficiently while keeping your family safe.
Memphis Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home or business.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Midtown Memphis for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Midtown Memphis specializes in mold cleanup and restoration. in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (901)454-4975